Lemon is considered the best citrus fruit among others. Consuming lemon has many health benefits for the human body as it contains vitamin C, which has the properties of antioxidant that not only removes the unwanted things from our body but also boost up our natural defense (fighting) mechanism against the harmful bacteria and viruses entered in the body.
In this article, you will know everything about lemon and the health benefits of lemon, which you were not aware of.
Lemon trees are mostly grown in India. You can grow the lemon plant in your garden as well. They are small trees with a height of 3-4 meters. Young leaves of the lemon plant are reddish or light green in color.
When they have fully grown, their color changes to dark green, and their shape becomes oval. Young branches of the lemon plant are angular in shape and sharp thorns in them.
A fully grown lemon tree has flowers that have a sweet smell. Flowers grew on the lemon tree are solitary as well as in groups of small clusters. Lemon tree needs slightly acidic soil for its growth.
A small size lemon tree can be grown in the pot, and you can place it in your balcony or in the garden where it can get warm bright from sunlight. The lemon tree requires a minimum of five hours of sunlight for its good growth.
It contains vitamin C, which has many benefits in preventing diseases and also helps in connective tissue repairing and keeping gum healthy.
Daily consumption of Lemon juice in warm water helps in maintaining the pH balance in the body by acting as an antioxidant. So for maintaining body pH, it should be taken in the morning empty stomach.
It is also said that if you drink lemon juice in warm water every morning, it helps in reducing fat by melting the fat from the body.
Among the refreshing drinks, lemon tea is considered the best one. It Provides freshness and has many benefits. Here are some of the health benefits of lemon tea.
Benefits of Lemon Tea
- Lemon tea acts as detoxifying (removes the unwanted things from the body)
- Lemon tea helps in boosting the digestive system of the body, helping in easy digestion of the food.
- Lemon tea helps in fighting against the infections present in the body.
- Lemon tea helps in regulating heart action.
- Lemon tea helps in glowing the skin.
- Lemon tea helps in reducing the swelling (edema) from the body after the operation.
Considering all the benefits of lemon tea, one should include it in a daily diet routine.
Recipe of Lemon Tea
Making lemon tea is very easy. Just follow these steps, and your lemon tea will be ready.
- Take a container and add one cup of water and keep it on high flame till it gets hot.
- Once it gets hot, the flame of gas should be slow.
- Now add lemon juice, ginger, and jaggery to it.
- Stir it well till the mixture gets mixed, and then turn off the flame of the gas.
- Now stain the lemon tea in the cup with the help of the filter and add lemon wedges on the side of the cup for decoration and your lemon tea is ready to drink.
Lemongrass is commonly used in India by most people. It has a refreshing property and has a smell and taste like lemon. Using lemongrass has many medicinal benefits.
Benefits of Lemongrass Tea
- Lemongrass is a rich source of many essential nutrients and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin C, iron and folate, calcium and potassium, zinc, phosphorus, and many more
- Lemongrass also has the property of antioxidant.
- Lemongrass also acts as an antimicrobial and anti-fungal.
- Lemongrass helps in preventing various stomach and intestine disorders.
- Lemongrass helps in treating nausea and vomiting and pain in the abdomen, even relieves constipation.
- Lemongrass even acts as a diuretic (helps in flushing out the waste material or toxins from the kidney) and keeps internal organs healthy.
Some people think that pickles are harmful to the body, but let me tell you that if lemon pickle is your choice of taste, then your choice is good. Lemon pickle also has many benefits.
Benefits of Lemon Pickle
- Lemon pickle helps in regulating blood sugar levels.
- Lemon pickle helps in maintaining blood pressure.
- Lemon pickle keeps the bone healthy as it contains calcium, vitamin A, iron, and potassium.
- Lemon pickle helps in boosting up the immune system of the body.
- Lemon pickle aids the digestion process.
So adding lemon pickle to your diet is good to your health.
Lemon and Honey
Lemon-honey tea has many benefits for the human body. It is said that when taken together, It produces marvelous health benefits.
And we all know that taking lemon honey tea helps in melting fat, reduces the acne from the face as well as removes the toxins from the body. Along with this, lemon-honey tea helps in aiding digestive problems.
Lime vs. Lemon
They both have common properties; though they both come in citrus fruits, they are still different. It is said that a lemon is a hybrid form of lime, and few people say that it is theory.
They both are grown all over the world. Lemon is citrus Limon which mostly grows in a moderate climate, while lime is citrus aurantifolia which grows well in tropical and subtropical regions.
They both have a sour taste and are acidic in nature. The difference between lime and lemon is that lemon is bright yellow in colour, while lime is light green in colour.
Another difference is in the shape and size; the lemon is bigger than lime. Lemon is 2-4 inches in diameter, and the size is oval, while lime is smaller 1-2 inches in diameter, and sizes may vary but mostly round.
Lemons are slightly sweetish (sweet lemon), while lime is bitter in taste. So bigger size is lemon with yellow colour while smaller is green lime.
Lemon for Face
Lemon has many benefits; it is good for the skin also. Besides having antioxidant properties, it helps in curing many skin problems. Here are some of the benefits of applying lemon on the face.
Benefits of Lemon for Face
- Useful in treating the acne on the face as lemon is acidic in nature.
- It acts as an astringent and helps in decreasing the inflammation due to acne.
- Useful in removing the excess oil on the face, which are responsible for producing acne by clearing the pores on the face.
- Useful in treating the fungal infection.
- Useful in decreasing the age spots, acne scars on the face.
- Useful in removing excess hairs on the face.
- Useful in increasing the collagen on the skin and thus prevents wrinkles and aging.
Besides its benefits, there are also some side effects, so before applying it to your face, consult your dermatologist for further information.
Lemon for Hair
Lemons act as a bleaching agent as well as helps in cleansing. Lemons can be applied to the hair if you want lightening hair. Lemon has bleaching properties which are due to the presence of citric acid in it.
It reduces the melanin (protein which is responsible for the blackening of the hairs) content in the hair and makes them light in color.
Applying lemon on the hair makes them shinier when the hair is looked at in the sunlight. It also helps in reducing the excess oil from your hair and also helps in reducing dandruff from hair.
Though using lemon for hair also have some side effects, so doctor consultation is required before applying lemon on hair.
Lemon oil is used by many people as a home remedy because of its various health benefits. Before applying lemon oil, it should be diluted then it can use. Here are some of the benefits of using lemon oil.
Benefits of Lemon Oil
- It helps in reducing anxiety and depression.
- It helps in releasing the exhaustion in the body.
- It helps in fighting against the harmful agents in the body and kills them.
- It helps in reducing the inflammation in the body.
- It helps in clearing the skin.
We all discard the peel of the lemon, but this peel is of great use as it also has many health benefits because it contains bioactive compounds. Here are some of the health benefits of lemon peel.
Benefits of Lemon Peel
- Lemon peel contains a high amount of vitamin C.
- Lemon peel helps in preventing dental caries and prevents gum infections.
- Lemon peels are full of antioxidants.
- Lemon peel has anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties, which help in reducing the growth of bacteria and fungus.
- Lemon peel helps in boosting up body immunity.
These are few, but lemon peel has many more health benefits, so don’t discard the peel.
Interesting Facts About Lemon
- Originally a hybrid of sour orange and citron.
- Lemon-tree is not seasonal. It is an evergreen tree which blooms throughout the year.
- It contains citric acid, due to which the taste of lemon is sour.
- Leaves of the lemon tree can be used to make tea.
- Heaviest lemon grown as of now is at Kefar Zeitim weighed 5.265 kg.
- Lemons are thought to have first grown in Assam, Northern Burma or China.
- The average lifespan of a lemon tree is over 50 years.
- A lemon contains 140% of the daily recommended vitamin C intake.
- It is the only food in this world that is anionic ( i.e. an ion with a negative charge).
- Lemons need a minimum temperature of around 7 Celsius.
- In historic times, lemons were used for ornamental purposes.
- Lemons can be preserved in the salt bucket for fragrance.
- They are a versatile household cleaner.
- Lemons are used in the production of alcoholic beverages.
- Oil which is extracted from the lemon skin contains chemicals which repel the insects.
Health Benefits of Lemon
Lemons have a number of health benefits. They can prevent diseases and even treat many of them. Here are a few important lemon benefits you must know.
A Superb Source of Vitamin C
There are so many health and other benefits of Lemon. It is a great source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is needed by our body to form the collagen.
A perfect source to make the skin, tendons, blood vessels & ligaments healthy. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a very vital acid for the smooth functioning of our body. It helps to grow and repair the tissues, all over our body.
Control Blood Cholesterol
According to the health records, the people having high LDL cholesterol level should aim to consume 10 to 25 grams of soluble fibres, every day to lower down their cholesterol level.
Lemon is a great source of that soluble fibre. Lemons are rich in flavonoids & thus have a strong effect on cholesterol levels.
Alkalize Human Body pH
Lemons are acidic in nature. According to a scientific study, acidic food always alkalizes your blood while becoming alkaline during digestions.
Lemons fully metabolized in the body & its minerals as dissociated in the bloodstream, which ultimately maintains a healthy temperature of a human body.
Encourage Liver Functioning
Lemon is a natural cleanser, which ultimately helps in controlling the harmful organisms in our body.
Lemons encourage liver functioning by preventing the entering of undigested food into the liver, through the bloodstream & since filtering is the ultimate job of the liver, so lemons indirectly help in enhancing the functioning of the liver.
The velocity of the working of your metabolism is actually the rate at which your body burns the fuels present inside your body, forgetting energetic.
Lemons have an acid, which helps in increasing the speed of burning that fuel, inside the body. Thus, speeding the metabolic rate of your body.
Detox your Body & Skin
Lemons are loaded with various nutrients and phytonutrients, responsible for health benefits. Lemons provide anti-obesity effects to your body.
Lemon water is the best way to support the immune system and clear the toxins, thus by becoming a very good detoxicating agent.
Boost Energy and Mood
Lemons are the master source of citrus fruit. It is an incredible transportable source of food, which also had natural sugars that help in an instant energy boost.
Citrus fruit also excites the sense of taste and smell, thus by boosting the energy and the mood, all over at an instant.
Lemons contain those antioxidant properties and since lemons balance the number of alkalis and acids in the body, they are the finest source of enhancing the minerals in the immune system, which ultimately leads to increment in the immunity of the person.
Lemons help in bloating, the electrolytes present in the lemon helps to boost hydration & even drinking lemon with water also reduces the problem of constipation.
Lemons relieve heartburns. An easier form to keep hydrated always.
Helps in Weight Loss
Lemons contain compound minerals called polyphenol, which is an ultimate source for reducing the weight.
With this perfect therapy, lemons are the great source of reducing the weight by burning the calories from the body.
Freshens the Breath
Lemon is a great source to combat the bad breathe from the mouth, by neutralizing the odour from foods.
It also stimulates the production of the saliva, which helps to flush the smell of food inside the mouth, and thus, keeping the mouth healthy and odour free.
Enhance the Functioning of Gall Bladder
Simply adding a little bit of lemon in your diet, help the smooth functioning of the gallbladder. Actually, a gallbladder cleanser is an alternative for healthy liver functioning.
Lemon helps to increase the bile, which ultimately leads to the proper functioning of the gallbladder system.
Indigestion is one of the most common issues among humans. Lemon juice is a proven source of removing digestion-related problems as lemon contains certain minerals while reducing heartburns and bloating by loosening up the toxins which are trapped.
Treatment of Acne
Lemon acts as a miracle for acne. Lemons contain brimming with vitamin C, which is also known as L ascorbic acid, which actually acts as antioxidants.
Antioxidants are present to secure the cells of the human skin & tissues from the free radicals of the skin and the body.
Improve Eye Health
Lemons provide potential nutrients to your eyes. Lemon is that citrus fruit which reduces the risks of cataract and various muscular degenerations.
It keeps the eyes healthy by ultimately reducing the melanin from the eyes. A great source of vitamins & minerals for the eyes.
Helps in Cancer Treatment
The extract of the lemon, destroy the malignant cells of cancers much more effectively even more than chemotherapy & leave the healthy cells unharmed.
They are anti-cancer diets. Even minimal intake of lemon daily can reduce cancer.
When your body temperature gets higher than normal, then the situation is said as a fever. It is actually a state when your body faces certain types of infections, due to numerous bacteria & viruses.
The minerals present inside the lemons fight against these & help to treat the fever.
The acid presents in the lemon help in destroying the bacteria present in the mouth. It helps in preventing the infections in mouth & maintains oral health.
Lemon also reduces yellow teeth accumulation. If you want to heal your bleeding gums or wants to eliminate your bad breath, then lemon is a perfect source for it. Also, it is a way to eliminate toothaches.
The perfect source for your hair care is Lemon. This is one of the important benefits of Lemon. The vitamins in lemon help in making hairs, long & strong. It reduces hair fall.
Lemons help in making dull hairs, fizzy. With the very antifungal properties in lemon, it fights easily with dandruff & other scalp fungal infections. It helps in cleansing the scalp of the dead cells & other deposits.
As the lemons contain the natural bleaching properties, so it helps in to lighten the skin tone & helps to remove the suntan.
It is the most reliable ingredient for removing tan. Actually, lemons are those antioxidants which are very good for skin complexion.
Once upon a time, lemons were presented as the admirable gifts to the emperors & the kings, because they were so rare.
“When life gives you a lemon… squeeze it, mix it with six ounces of distilled water and drink twice daily.” – Jethro Kloss in his book Back to Eden.
Lemon can be found easily everywhere in the market. Lemon is considered an evergreen citrus fruit as one can get lemon in every season.
Today lemon is used for many purposes like in industries, aromatherapy, and many more and has many health benefits.
Even lemons are used in making batteries for small digital watches. So add lemon to your daily routine to get healthy life.